Marketing & Entrepreneurship
Nearly every industry requires a basic understanding of entrepreneurship, marketing, and finance. The demand for marketing professionals and the need for more entrepreneurs to start new business ventures will continue to increase. As technology changes and improves, this will create new products and opportunities. Companies will rely heavily on sales and marketing professionals to increase the demand.
Students in this program will learn to recognize economic and market trends, develop entrepreneurial, management, and leadership skills, utilize various sales promotional techniques, create positive relationships with customers, and develop business plans. The school store, “The spOt”, provides the opportunity to practice marketing strategies and track financial information. Students in this program frequently qualify for state and national DECA leadership events.
To Be Successful
Communications (reading, writing, and speaking) skills are essential to be successful in this program. Students in this program generally are outgoing, creative, and have the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Most students in the program have access to the internet and strong computer skills.
Textbook reading level: College level
Program Success Indicators
- Listen, read, and follow verbal and written directions
- Add, subtract, multiply, divide, and find percentages
- Be computer and internet literate, knowledge of a variety of Microsoft applications
- Communication, composition, and spelling and grammar skills
- Present to a group
- Workplace literacy skills requiring information processing, critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making
- Good work ethic and good attendance
- Organizational skills
- Complete assigned work in a timely manner; meet deadlines, prioritize tasks
- Dependability, responsibility, honesty, integrity, and courtesy
- Positive attitude and interest in program
- Adhere to professional standards of dress and behavior
- Learn from feedback and constructive criticism
- Work independently and be productive every day
- Teamwork skills
- Provide excellent customer service
- Be flexible in an instructional environment with frequent interruption
- Enjoy playing with puzzles, solving problems, and lateral thinking games
- Interested in owning their own business
- Be persuasive with business ideas
- Prefer to be creative and is idea-based
- Prefer ambiguity where there could be multiple correct approaches to the question
- Enjoy hands-on work environment
- Production and project-based
- Pay attention to detail, locate and fix errors, and proofread own work for accuracy
- Measure how well a system is working and how to improve it
Note: Additional education may be required.
- Entrepreneur/Business Owner
- Retail Management
- Public Relations
High School Credit*
*The LISD TECH Center recommends the academic credit listed. Credit can only be awarded by local districts.
- 1.0 4th Math
- 1.0 Online Learning Experience
- 0.5 English Language Arts
- 1.0 3rd Science (in lieu of)
- 1.0 World Languages (in lieu of)
- 1.0 Visual, Performing, and Applied Arts
College Credit Opportunities*
*College credit can only be awarded by the college or university. Certain requirements must be met outside of completing the program.
- Baker College
- Davenport University
- Jackson College
- Siena Heights University
- Washtenaw Community College
Ashley Price is a high-level marketer and entrepreneur with over a decade of experience in various industries such as the hospitality, gaming, financial services, and eCommerce sectors and has first-hand experience building three businesses from the ground up that are still thriving today. She earned a Bachelor of Applied Arts from Central Michigan University majoring in Recreation, Parks, and Leisure Services with a double minor in Hospitality Administration and Event Management in 2009 and earned a Master of Science Administration with a concentration in Leadership in 2014, also from Central Michigan University.