Fun and Learning
Children smile an average of 400 times a day, but adults only 15 times. Ever wonder why?
Make time for fun! Playing with your children develops lasting bonds.
Whether you are looking for family friendly festivals, or a weekend of relaxation and fun on the lake, there is something here for everyone! View the Visit Lenawee website for more information.
Michigan's Ecology Center, a non-profit environmental group, has tested thousands of toys in order to provide parents with the information they need when purchasing toys and other child products.
Local Parks & Recreation Centers
- Adrian Recreation and Arts
- Frank and Shirley Dick Family YMCA ( 5660 N. Adrian Hwy, Adrian)
- Tecumseh Parks and Recreation
- Blissfield Parks and Recreation
- Hidden Lake Gardens (Tipton)
- Hayes State Park (Onsted)
- The Centre (Christian Family Center, Wolf Creek Hwy & 223, Adrian)
Books, story hours and special programs make libraries a great place to start learning.
Get to know the one nearest you.
- Main Branch: 4459 W. US 223 Adrian, MI - (517) 263-1011
- Addison Branch: 102 South Talbot St. Addison, MI - (517) 547-3414
- Britton Branch: 120 College Ave. Britton, MI - (517) 451-2860
- Clayton Branch: 3457 State Street Clayton, MI - (517) 445-2619
- Deerfield Branch: 170 Raisin Street Deerfield, MI - (517) 447-3400
- Onsted Branch: 261 South Main St. Onsted, MI - (517) 467-2623
- Bookmobile travels to various locations (call main branch for details)
Adrian District Library
143 E. Maumee St. Adrian
Blissfield Schultz-Holmes Memorial Library
407 S.Lane St. Blissfield, MI
Clinton Township Library
100 Brown St., Clinton, MI
Hudson Carnegie District Library
205 S. Market St., Hudson, MI
Morenci Stair District Library
228 W. Main St., Morenci, MI
Sand Creek - Read It and Reap Library
6193 Railroad St Box 86
Sand Creek MI 49279
Tecumseh District Library
215 N. Ottawa St., Tecumseh, MI
Books for Your Child!
Dolly Parton's Imagination Library will help you read with your child. It sounds almost too simple ot be true, but by reading regularly with your children during their preschool years, you are giving them the biggest boost toward a successful education they will ever get. If you are not sure you can afford books for your child, the Imagination Library and Lenawee Community Foundation will make it happen, every month, through age 5 years! Sign up and each month a new, carefully selected book will be mailed in your child's name directly to your home.
Tips for Reading with Kids
Reading with kids is important, but so is HOW you read with them. Using the "PEER" sequence is a great way to get your child actively engaged in reading.
PEER stands for Prompt, Evaluate, Expand and Repeat. Here's how it works:
- PROMPT your child to say something about the book: Point to a picture: "What's this?" Child says "Truck!"
- EVALUATE your child's response: "That's right!"
- EXPAND on the response by rephrasing or adding information: "It's a red fire truck."
- REPEAT the prompt or expansion: "Can you say fire truck?"
Boys & Girls Club of Lenawee
The Boys & Girls Club of Lenawee serves all youth, ages 7-18. The membership fee is only $3 per child, per calendar year. Locations are in Adrian (7/8 Building on Church St.) and in Hudson (in the middle/high school building). Members enjoy games, receive homework help, participate in technology programs, take field trips, and much more.