Lenawee’s CHILD (Communities Helping to Increase Learning & Development) is a “Parents as Teachers” program. It is a FREE year-round program that offers:
- research-based information on how children grow and develop
- types of activities and toys that will foster learning and nurture development
- methods of positive discipline and new techniques for problem solving
- realistic expectations of child behavior
- attitudes that will raise children’s self-esteem
What services are provided?
- Playgroups: Each playgroup location offers a variety of parent and child activity centers, including fine and gross motor, housekeeping, books, art, blocks and sensory play. Many playgroups end with a circle time and singing songs.
- Developmental Screenings: Developmental screenings serve two purposes: 1) to reassure parents when the child is developing on target and 2) to identify concerns regarding a child’s health, vision, hearing, communication, physical development, problem solving and social/emotional development.
- Preschool Summer Camps: Lenawee’s CHILD Preschool Summer Camps are held one day a week for four weeks. Camps provide developmentally appropriate activities for children ages two to five years old. Each week has a theme, and children from Lenawee County School District enjoy games, crafts and motor activities. All Summer Camps are full.
What has research found?
Your child begins learning at birth. Brain growth and development happens more rapidly during the first five years of life then at any other time.
Research suggests that from birth to 3 years old and, especially, the first 6 months of life, the brain goes through the most critical stage of development. By age 3, a child will absorb and recognize about 1,000 words, which is two-thirds of the adult everyday speaking vocabulary. By the age of 4, a child’s brain will have grown to nearly three-fourths of its adult size.
When is the time to enroll?
The time is now! Any family within the Lenawee Intermediate School District (LISD) boundaries is eligible to participate if their child is between the age of birth and five years old.
Parents, you are your child’s first teacher. Give your child the best possible start in life. Enroll in Lenawee’s CHILD today!
Contact Young Children Services for more information about Lenawee’s CHILD, 517-263-8931.